Duration: December 2017 – January 2022
Client: Greater Amman Municipality (GAM)
Donor: European Bank for Reconstruction & Development (EBRD)
The Greater Amman Municipality (GAM) entered an agreement with the EBRD for a sovereign-guaranteed loan as part of the Amman Solid Waste Crisis Response Program. The proceeds of the loans are allocated for a number of infrastructure investments in the Ghabawi Municipal Solid Waste Landfill and the Shaer Waste Transfer Station as well as other improvements in the waste management and governance framework in Amman.
ECO Consult was assigned by EBRD as the Environmental and Social Implementation Support and Supervision Consultant for GAM to provide hands-on advisory and supervision on Environmental, Health and Safety and Social (EHSS) management and monitoring aspects as well as integrated solid waste management practices within the Ghabawi Landfill and the Waste Transfer station and assist GAM to implement the Environmental and Social Action Plan (ESAP) stipulated in the loan agreement between GAM and the EBRD.
ECO Consult provided the following key services for the project:
- Environmental and Social Due Diligence (ESDD) for the Ghabawi Landfill and preparation of: Environmental and Social Action Plan (ESAP), Non-Technical Summary (NTS), and Stakeholder Engagement Plan (SEP).
- Comprehensive ESIA to obtain the environmental permit from the Ministry of Environment for the Ghabawi Landfill. ESIA was undertaken in accordance with national requirements as well as EBRD E&S requirements.
- Livelihood Restoration Framework (LRF) & Livelihood Restoration Plan (LRP) and support GAM in its implementation.
- Establishing proper stakeholder engagement activities for the community surrounding the WTS and the Landfill
- Environmental, Health, Safety and Social Management System (EHSS-MS) for the landfill and the WTS that is designed to meet EBRD requirements, International Best Practice and national applicable regulations and standards.
- Assessing GAM’s EHSS capacity with the objective to institutionalize EHSS commitments and compliance.
- On-site training in order to strengthen the capacity of GAM personnel in managing the different operations, ensuring effective ESAP implementation and commitment to the EHSS commitments.
- Capacity building and institutional support for the Project Management Unit (PMU) to ensure effective implementation of ESAP and adherence to requirements.